Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Reading

Maya has been - oh how can I say this?... Not been actively pursuing her AR reading assignments in school. AR (Accelerated Reader) books are just everyday kids books of which they need to read 25 by the end of the school year. When we had our parent teacher conference a month and half ago she had a great report from the teacher with the one exception that she needed to start reading more books to be on track to accomplish her goal of 25. Well since that meeting she has not exactly been devouring the books, in fact she has read - oh how can I say?... Very very very few. So I figured I could either convince her to get on the ball by using either a carrot or a stick. My experience has taught me that Maya usually gets stuff done if she has a schedule and a little enticement offered upon completion. This week she is set to finish a 400 page book and then she has several Judy Blume books on deck. If she gets her first book done this week we are having a Daddy Daughter Day on Saturday. If this doesn't work then I'm afraid we're going to have to start considering the stick.

No comments: