Monday, January 12, 2009

Too Cold for Sledding

Tonight I came up with the not so brilliant idea of going sledding with Maya. Earlier in the evening I was outside shoveling the driveway and it was cold, but not unbearably so - however, what I didn't realize since I was shoveling on the east side of the house was the wind blowing at an ungodly speed from west. We headed over to the sledding hill, but after about five seconds we both realized that the sledding idea was not a good one - the wind made it nearly impossible to even climb to the top of the hill. So we packed up the sled, went to Starbucks at the Barnes and Noble, got a mocha and warmed up.



While at the bookstore Maya talked me into getting her a Diary of a Wimpy Kid book. Actually, last night I was reading this article about these books in the New York Times and was feeling a bit guilty as it described the passion kids Maya's age have for them and yet I've repeatedly told Maya she couldn't get one because they seem kind of silly to me. Any book that has Fart Police who go around and arrest people for farting is not what most would consider high brow literature - even for kids - but I gave in and got her the book anyway. Even though we didn't get much sledding in we still had a pretty good night.

No comments: