Saturday, February 03, 2007

Too cold for astronomy

Despite a temperature of -8 degrees I took Maya's telescope, the one she got for Christmas, out tonight to see if I could get a good view of the moon - on this, the first clear night since she got. The agreement was I'd go outside and get the moon in the view finder and then I'd have her come out and look at it so she wouldn't have to freeze too much. After about ten minutes of fumbling around like a fool and freezing my butt off trying to get the moon in focus I came to the conclusion that both of us have a pretty good idea as to what the moon looks like already and there is no sense suffering in these temperatures to see it again. Perhaps I don't exhibit the greatest commitment to science, but I told Maya we'll try it again when it's a little warmer.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I agree. It's easier just to look out the window. :)

Unknown said...

Thank goodness Galileo, Newton, Stephen Hawking,etc. weren't a bunch of sissies.