Wednesday, November 14, 2007

More Penguin News

The other day Maya asked me if I would pay for her to become a member at Club Penguin - this being the website she visits to hang out with her friends from school where they are all little penguin avatars. The benefit of becoming a member of Club Penguin is that you can spend all the virtual coins you’ve earned by doing different activities to buy virtual stuff for your penguin. The catch is, it takes real coins to get the privilege of spending the virtual coins. Well I said no. I could have gone into a long spiel about how when I was a kid I rarely even got quarters to play Ms. Pac Man, but I simply said no - because parenting like art is all about drawing lines, and I chose to draw one at the paying of money to buy things for a computer generated penguin.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Does this mean Maya's penguin won't be keeping up with her friends' penguins? How will that look to the virtual world? Doesn't this penguin have grandparents to buy him stuff?

Anonymous said...

She needs to spend a little less time with the virtual penguins and a little more time with her very real violin.